Sunday, May 10, 2009

Billy Lee Riley

From Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee comes Billy Lee Riley, who didn’t have a hit (such as it was) until 1972, by which time Sun Records had been acquired by the Shelby Singleton Corporation and was on its way to being history. The song was I Got A Thing About You Baby on the Entrance label, a song that Elvis also did, and I don’t have it. The ones I do have are from the 50s, and I got them from a Sun compilation that I found at the Centennial Library.




Billy Lee Riley:



Flying Saucers Rock And Roll – UFOs and space travel are among the more esoteric sub themes of rock and roll, but it comes up now and then: Flying Saucer by Buchanan & Goodman, Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley, Mr. Spaceman by The Byrds, 13 Questions by Seatrain. This may be the first, extra-terrestrials, and all they want to do is party.
Pearly Lee – Ricky Nelson did this as Shirley Lee. More rockabilly and one of those I-got-a-girl-songs.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page