Thursday, September 18, 2008

10 Random Albums




I used to have vinyl LPs but I got rid of most of them. Seems, though, that I still have a bunch of LPs. Most of them are classical music LPs, and I may just sell them on eBay or something if I get ambitious enough.


Here, for no reason whatsoever, is a random sampling of 10 of the albums:


Bach Organ Favorites played by E. Power Biggs


I’ve been wanting to hear a real live organ recital, and I’m hoping that the Friday 12 hour concerts will resume this winter at McGill because I will finally be able to go.

Britten: Spring Symphony by Sheila Armstrong, Janet Baker, Robert Tear, London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra, St. Clement Danes School Boys’ Choir, André Previn


I haven't listened to this much. But a few years ago I heard a performance of Britten's Varations On A Theme Of Frank Bridge, played by an ensemble of students called Les Petites Violons, at the Vincent D'Indy music school. My daughter and I went, and it was magnificent. A few years later she was on the same stage playing Haydn on her violin.


Mozart Symphonies, No. 35 in D, “Haffner”, No. 36 in C, “Linz”, Otto Klemperer – Philharmonia Orchestra


This one still has the price tag on it, $2.50 cash or $3.50 trade. I recognize the sticker; it’s from Pyramid Records. That was some place. Mozart is always good of course. I am partial to No 41, the “Jupiter.”

Solti – Wagner.


This one is a guilty pleasure. We’re not supposed to listen to Wagner of course; the man was a notorious anti-Semite, and Hitler’s favourite. There was a big to-do a number of years ago when, was it Zubin Mehta? decided to play Wagner with the Israel Philharmonic, and the end result was that they left it for the end of the concert and musicians who objected could leave. Problem is, the music is magnificent.

Saint – Saëns – The Carnival Of The Animals, Britten, The Young Person’s Guide To The Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic


This is an old Columbia album, released in 1962. There is a stamp that says St. Johns High School Library. My parents went to St. Johns.

Gershwin: Rhapsody In Blue, American In Paris, Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic, Columbia Symphony


Bernstein was the acclaimed Gershwin expert.

Beethoven Quartet in C-Sharp minor, Opl 131, Juillard String Quartet



I have a special place in my heart for this Beethoven quartet. I became familiar with it in an string orchestra version recorded by Bernstein and the Vienna Philharmonic, and hearing it stripped down to its original 4 instruments is breathtaking.

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5, Leningrad Philharmonic, Yevgeny Mravinsky


My parents had a recording of this, and I’m sure that it’s etched into my early memory somewhere, though I don’t consciously remember hearing it.

Paul Finkleman – Music Wheel.



Finkleman is Canadian, and this is a children’s album. I’m not sure where it came from, but I’m pretty sure that my kids never heard it.

Peter Gabriel – So.



I bought this for my wife. I can’t stand it, but it makes her happy. I've since given her a copy on CD. Another Pyramid sticker, with the same prices as the other one.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page