Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Del Vikings

The Del Vikings, an interracial harmony group, had 3 hits, all in 1957. My collection, which I cobbled together, has 2 of them. Come Go With me comes from American Graffiti, and Whispering Bells comes from the Stand By Me soundtrack. Where the others come from I can’t remember, except The White Cliffs Of Dover came right off the single.




The Del Vikings:



Come Go With Me – I don’t get the contradictory title. I guess it just creates a kind of underlying tension that defines one of the great rock and roll classics of the 50s. It rocks, it bops, it sails. From the spring of 1957.
Come Along With Me – Basically Come Go With Me redux, but good for all that.
The White Cliffs Of Dover – A hit for Vera Lynn during WW2. This is the doo-wop version.
A Sunday Kind Of Love – Originally by The Harptones, this is a slight update, and more uptempo. Also done by Jan & Dean.
Whispering Bells – There’s nothing whispering about this song. From the summer of 1957.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page