Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lloyd Price

Lloyd Price was an R&B singer, he was from New Orleans, and his chart career lasted from 1957 until 1964. His most covered song, and his biggest accomplishment, was Lawdy Miss Clawdy, covered by everyone and his brother, which was a #1 R&B hit in 1952, and which I do not have. Don’t yell at me. I just don’t have it.

What I do have is a collection called Personality, a budget cassette release which has 8 tracks, and I have 3 songs I picked up on some random collection that I got a Pyramid Records. That gives me 11 out of his 17 top 100 singles – for the record.







Lloyd Price:



Stagger Lee – This was a popular tale of gambling and murder, to a great New Orleans beat. I knew the song by Wilson Pickett, but that was later. There are, of course, millions of other versions. There’s a whole story behind this song; read about it if you’re ambitious on Wikipedia. This record, though, was a number 1 hit in the winter of 1959.
Personality – Over and over, sings Price, I tried to prove my love to you. We don’t know exactly what the obstacle was, as he waxes eloquent over his girl’s personality. A big one in the summer of ’59.
I’m Gonna Get Married – Johnny you’re too young, sing the girls. I thought his name was Lloyd. In spite of all the opposition, all the advice to the contrary, all the nay sayers, he’s gonna go and do it. Sheesh. From the fall of 1959.
Lady Luck – Karma is a bummer. Lloyd is determined to overcome. From the winter of 1960.
Question – Prices waxes philosophical. From the summer of 1960.
Where Were You (On Our Wedding Day) – Stood up at the alter, what a drag. Where were you when I said “I do” he asks. Strange that they went ahead with the ceremony without her. Still, Lloyd is angry, Give me back my ring! hew demands. I guess he's not gonna get married after all. From the spring of 1959.
Just Because – Not the country song, as done by Elvis. This is a kind of clink clink clink ballad. John Lennon covered it in 1975 on Rock & Roll. From the spring of 1957.
Won’cha Come Home – The lyrics beg, but the voice insists. From late 1959.
Just Call Me (And I’ll Understand) – Think I’ll Be There by Bobby Darin / Gerry & The Pacemakers, or Call On Me by Chicago. From the fall of 1960.
Come Into My Heart – Another love song, New Orleans style. From late 1959, the A side of Won’cha Come Home.
Never Let Me Go – The flip side of Lady Luck was a hit in its own right in the winter of 1960. A slow dance, with strings and all.
For Love – It’s getting generic by now. From the spring of 1960.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page