Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lionel Hampton


The Compact Jazz series, which started out as Walkman Jazz, which started out as Walkman Classics, was a series of collections by various jazz artists, each of which seemed to highlight a few select years of the artist’s career. So it was never anything like a comprehensive or wide-ranging collection. But I guess that’s alright; it was what it was.

This collection of music by vibraphonist Lionel Hampton is no different; it highlights some recordings he made in the mid to late 50s. And that’s all I can tell you.





Lionel Hampton:



Flying Home
The Man I Love
Je Ne Sais Pas – French for I don’t know.
The High And The Mighty – A hit for Les Baxter.
China Boy – About the kid who brought the dishes?
On The Sunny Side Of The Street
That Old Black Magic – A hit for Sammy Davis Jr., for Louis Prima & Keely Smith, and for Bobby Rydell.
Moonglow – A big hit in 1955 for any number of artists.
Gladys – Imagine singing a love song to someone called Gladys. I’m sure I’ve known a Gladys or two; somebody’s mother was Gladys for sure, just don’t ask me whose.
Airman Special – Great drum solo on this one.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page