Sunday, March 1, 2009

Gogi Grant

I had her two biggest hits, and I can’t remember for the life of me where I got them, honest I can’t, but recently I picked up Her Very Best. I found it at the Grande Bibliotheque, God bless the Grande Bibliotheque.

This collection has all 5 of her Era top 100 hits; it does not have her one RCA chart single (Strange Are The Ways Of Love)




Gogi Grant:



The Wayward Wind – The old story. Guy won’t settle down, won’t commit. A slave to his wandering wind. Think of Bobby Goldsboro, I’m A Drifter. The trumpet heralds the wind itself, while the upward sweep of the stings take us wherever it is the wind is blowing. This song was a number 1 hit in the summer of 1956.
Suddenly There’s A Valley – A song of hope. Listen carefully. Maybe there is truth in it. From the fall of ’55, this was in the top 10.
You’re In Love – A song about taking the risk. She may be singing to a friend, or she may be singing to herself, but then she gives it away: You’re in love, cries my heart to me. Gotcha. From the fall of 1956.
Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams – Speed up the tempo here a bit. Another attitude song. Just remember the sunshine always follows the rain she sings. But does it?
All Of Me – A jazz standard. A love song of complete and total dedication, but there is something obviously lewd about it.
Love Is – All the wonderful things wrapped up into one song. Nothing to do with Eric Burdon & The Animals.
I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart – Another standard.
What’s New – What happens when the romance is over, and you meet again. With an Autumn Leaves worthy piano solo. Not to be confused with So What's New, recorded by many and a hit for none.
I Gave You My Heart – This could be part 2 of What’s New. Oh but here, she has someone new.
It Happens Every Spring – Yet another song about springtime love.
Love Is The Sweetest Thing
When The Tide Is High – From the fall of ’56, this is the flip of You’re In Love. It’s about a lost love. No relation to Blondie, which anyway is just called The Tide Is High. There is a similarity to The Wayward Wind in the string arrangement.
Who Are We – From the winter of 1956. This is one of those challenged love songs, as in our love affair is being challenged. Very dramatic.
The One I Love (Belongs To Someone Else) – Remember Midnight Confessions by The Grass Roots? Sounds like she is in love with a singer! In this case there is something going on between them, and it’s not clear whether her husband is having an affair, or he is just a two-timing boyfriend.
We Believe In Love – Of course we do. Not to be confused with Believe In Love by The Four Aces.
I’ll Never Be The Same – I get that, every experience changes us. She’s taking this a bit hard, though…
There Will Never Be Another You – Not The Seekers song, but the same idea. In this case it is yet another lost love.
I Don’t Want To Walk Without You – Here I am feeling sorry for myself…

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page