Thursday, March 5, 2009

Julie London


I’m sorry I don’t have a bigger collection of songs by Julie London. I used to, this collection had about 9 tracks, and I remember The Party’s Over, which isn’t here anymore. I don’t remember why I truncated this, probably for space.

It was a prerecorded cassette, called Cry Me A River And Other Hits, if I’m not mistaken, which I may be.

Whatever. Julie London was the ultimate sultry barroom torch singer.





Julie London:



Cry Me A River – A smokey barroom masterpiece. All the pieces come together – the laid back arrangement of guitar and bass, Julie’s voice, the lyrics about romantic injuries. Julie’s only hit, from late 1955. In 1970, Leon Russell did a radical rearrangement, which he handed over to Joe Cocker, whose version of the song on Mad Dogs & Englishmen rates as one of the most underrated wonders ever.
You’d Be So Nice To Come Home To – The idealized domestic life, before the reality sets in.
When I Fall In Love – A toss up I suppose between Julie London and Doris Day on this one. A hit for The Lettermen in the early 60s. More idealizing.
Let There Be Love
You’re My Thrill – It is the early manifestation of love, how my pulse increases…
Lover Man – Wherein our heroine pines for a partner… Not the Jimi Hendrix song.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page