Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Webb Pierce

Webb Pierce This is The Millenium Collection, and it disappoints me. Why, you ask. Pierce had 6 top 100 singles between 1957 and 1960, and only one is on here. So what kind of Best Of is this?

Well, let’s be fair. Webb Pierce was a country singer, and so this CD reflects his success on the country charts, not the pop charts, which is totally fair, really. So I have no business being disappointed.

But I am. I will, however, get over it.

…. Someday …

This is a recent acquisition; I found this at La Grande Biblioteque.




Webb Pierce:



Wondering – the aftermath of a broken relationship, can’t quite move on. Not only is our hero wondering what’s going on with his ex, he even wonders if she’s wondering about him. And he hasn’t given up. He prays for their reconciliation. Good luck. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1952.
Back Street Affair – Redundant, I think, back in the world of this song. An affair was backstreet by definition. He got duped, anyway, didn’t know she was married. I suppose it could happen but I have my doubts. Also recorded by Kitty Wells, whose version makes just a bit more sense. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1952.
It’s Been So Long – “It’s been so long since we said goodbye,” sings our hero, “I guess that’s why I sit and cry,” he explains. You’d think he’d have stopped crying by now. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1953.
There Stands The Glass – A classic drinking-to-get-over-heartbreak song. The focus on the glass, the profoundness of it, is different. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1953.
Slowly – A falling in love song. Not a love-at-first-sight song either. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1954.
More And More – An I’m-Getting-Over-You song. Thank goodness. This seems to have been his first and biggest pop hit, reaching number 22 in 1954, beating out I Ain’t Never by 2 points. Also a number 1 country hit.
In The Jailhouse Now – A moral tale, in theory. In practice it’s much too jovial sounding. He sounds as if he is delighted with the whole thing. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1955.
I Don’t Care – This is I Really Don’t Want To Know turned around into a positive statement of love and commitment, and light-heartedly at that. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1955.
Love Love Love – Not The Clovers / Diamonds song. Sounds like a straight love song, but then there are those little bits, life’s too short to fuss and fight, if you trust me… etc. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1955.
Why Baby Why – A straight reading of the George Jones song. Red Sovine sings on this. A number 1 hit on the country chart in 1955.
Honky Tonk Song – A honky tonk song about honky tonk music. This could be his theme song in a way, his and Ray Price’s and George Jones… A number 1 country hit in 1956.
I Ain’t Never – The title bespeaks the populism of the entire genre. Beneath the surface it’s just another love song, but what’s happening is that the hickness of the country is slowly disappearing. No fiddles on this one, but there is a chorus. From the fall of 1959.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page