Thursday, December 24, 2009

Slow Dance

This is like a mix tape but it’s not actually on a tape.

100 songs for a romantic evening – a long romantic evening. It’s random, they are not all slow, and there are no rules, apart from this: it had to feel right. Not all the songs are romantic, (Dion, Grateful Dead), and some are shameless (Righteous Brothers, Chicago). They aren’t even all slow (Four Seasons).

But listen to them end to end and I promise you, it’s intense…


• Dance With Me – The Drifters
• Just The Two Of Us – Grover Washington Jr. with Bill Withers
• Help Me Make It Through The Night – Sammi Smith
• I’m Happy Just To Dance With You – The Beatles
• Hooked On A Feeling – B. J. Thomas
• I’ll Never Find Another You – The Seekers
• Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye
• That Is All – Nilsson
• Touch Of Grey – The Grateful Dead
• Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
• Meant For You – The Beach Boys
• Tonite Tonite – The Mello-Kings
• Sweet Baby James – James Taylor
• I Put A Spell On You – Creedence Clearwater Revival
• I Will Always Love You – Dolly Parton
• The Last Thing On My Mind – Neil Diamond
• Midnight Train To Georgia – Gladys Knight & The Pips
• Unchained Melody – The Righteous Brothers
• Don’t Worry Baby – The Beach Boys
• Dunrobin’s Gone – Brave Belt
• Miracles – Jefferson Starship
• I’m So Young – The Students
• Oh Very Young – Cat Stevens
• Lovers Never Say Goodbye – The Flamingos
• Ain’t No Sunshine – Bill Withers
• Will You Love Me Tomorrow – The Shirelles
• Lay Lady Lay – Bob Dylan
• Silence Is Golden – The Tremeloes
• Words Don’t Come Easy – The Hollies
• Tonight I Fell In Love – The Tokens
• Catch The Wind – Donovan
• Every Breath I Take – Gene Pitney
• Leaving On A Jet Plane – John Denver
• If You Don’t Know Me By Now – Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
• Without You – Nilsson
• Wasn’t Born To Follow – The Byrds
• Goodbye To Love – The Carpenters
• Circus – John Denver
• When A Man Loves A Woman – Percy Sledge
• Joanne – Michael Nesmith & The First National Band
• Because – The Dave Clark Five
• Comin’ Back To Me – Jefferson Airplane
• (If You Cry) True True Love – The Drifters
• Moments – The Kinks
• I’m Stone In Love With You – The Stylistics
• Rag Doll – The Four Seasons
• The Nearest Faraway Place – The Beach Boys
• If You Go Away – Neil Diamond
• The Lottery Song – Nilsson
• Desafinado – Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd
• Something – Joe Cocker
• And The Grass Won’t Pay No Mind – Elvis Presley
• Kathy’s Song – Simon & Garfunkel
• Only With You – The Beach Boys
• I’ll Be Back – The Beatles
• I Just Can’t Help Believing – B. J. Thomas
• Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall – Simon & Garfunkel
• God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
• If I Fell – The Beatles
• 10 Degrees And Getting Colder – Gordon Lightfoot
• Didn’t I (Blow Your Mind This Time) – The Delfonics
• Moondance – Van Morrison
• Abraham, Martin And John – Dion
• Oh Girl – The Chi-Lites
• Solitary Man – Neil Diamond
• O-o-h Child – The Five Stairsteps
• Reason To Believe – Rod Stewart
• Cruisin’ – Smokey Robinson
• Sour Suite – The Guess Who
• I’ll Take You Home – The Drifters
• South City Midnight Lady – The Doobie Brothers
• To The Aisle – The Five Satins
• The Best Of My Love – The Eagles
• Blue Velvet – The Clovers
• Goodbye – America
• Ruby Tuesday – The Rolling Stones
• Long Dark Road – The Hollies
• Lazy Lady – Michael Nesmith
• Oh Me Oh My (I’m A Fool For You Baby) – Lulu
• Dreams – The Guess Who
• Rock And Roll Lullaby – B. J. Thomas
• The Night Has A Thousand Eyes – Bobby Vee
• Caroline, No – Brian Wilson
• Third Week In The Chelsea – Jefferson Airplane
• December 63 (Oh What A Night) – The Four Seasons
• Who Am I To Say – The Statler Brothers
• Everyone’s Gone To The Moon – Jonathan King
• Affair On 8th Avenue – Gordon Lightfoot
• Lady-O – The Turtles
• Look At Me Girl – Bobby Vee
• Forget Him – Bobby Rydell
• Flying On The Ground Is Wrong – The Guess Who
• I’ve Lost You – Elvis Presley
• Never My Love – The Association
• Sealed With A Kiss – Gary Lewis & The Playboys
• I Will Take You There – Nilsson
• Wanderlust – Paul McCartney
• If You Leave Me Now – Chicago
• Total Eclipse Of The Heart – Bonny Tyler
• All I Ever Need Is You – Sonny & Cher

Notes: Caroline, No is usually labeled as a Beach Boys track; it's on Pet Sounds. The single was originally released with just Brian Wilson's name. Feel free to substitute the original version of That Is All (George Harrison) and / or the hit version of Leaving On A Jet Plane (Peter, Paul & Mary)

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page