Saturday, November 1, 2008

Vaughn Monroe

The Best Of Vaughn Monroe



There were two organizations in Winnipeg that had fund-raising record sales – one was the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra, who eventually established a full-time store, and the other was the Winnipeg Folk Festival – and I think that they shared an inventory and an infrastructure. They took turns holding sales at Eaton Place or Portage Place, downtown shopping centres.

And so they would charge $3.00 for an LP, and they wouldn’t bargain. And I would pick up 5 LPs and offer $10, and whoever was selling would count them and say 5 LPs that’s $15, and I would say I’m offering you $10, and they didn’t get it. But I said I’m not paying you 15 getit? But I will give you 10, and that’s money for your organization, or I will leave the LPs here, and give you nothing. But they wouldn’t budge.

So I would pick one out of the 5, and that’s it.

That’s where I got Vaughn Monroe, but I don’t remember which organization was in charge that day.





So Vaughn Monroe, this is his greatest hits, and they were all hits during the 40s, before my time. but I know a lot of these songs:



  • There! I’ve Said It Again – a hit for Bobby Vinton in 1964

  • Riders In The Sky (A Cowboy Legend) – we already heard this by The Sons Of The Pioneers. It was hit in the early 60s by The Ramrods, and in the 80s by Johnny Cash, and it was covered by everyone from Peggy Lee to Dick Dale. This version isn't my favourite.

  • Someday (You’ll Want Me To Want You)

  • Mister Sandman – this is apparently a later recording, seeing as how the song was written in 1954. It was a huge hit for The Chordettes and a lesser one for The Four Aces. They all should have just let The Chordettes have it, and leave well enough alone.

  • Sound Off (The Duckworth Chant) – a military hymn of sorts

  • Racing With The Moon (Vaughn Monroe’s Theme Song) – who thought he’d need a theme song…

  • Ballerina – also a hit for Nat King Cole, not the Van Morrison song

  • There I Go – his first hit

  • There’ll Be Some Changes Made

  • The Maharaja Of Magador

  • Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! – also recorded by Ella Fitzgerald. I bet neither ever lived in Canada

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page