Thursday, August 27, 2009

Duke Ellington

I am out of my comfort zone here, so let’s just let Stevie have the last word:






Duke Ellington



East St. Louis Toodle-Oo – Dates back to the 20s. Steely Dan covered this.
In A Sentimental Mood – From 1935
Stompy Jones – Originally recorded in 1934. A lively one.
Prelude To A Kiss – High romance. Recorded in 1938 with Mary McHugh on vocal.
Take The “A” Train – Billy Strayhorn wrote this. Betty Roche sings on this 1942 recording. A jazz standard.
Dimuendo And Crescendo In Blue – Live track.
Mood Indigo – One of his signature songs, first recorded in 1930.
Solitude – Another song that followed him through his career, beginning in 1934.
C Jam Blues – Has to be one of the greatest titles ever.
• In A Mellow Tone
Sentimental Lady – Not the Fleetwood Mac / Bob Welch song.
Caravan – Now we’re talking, Unique in the annals of pop music. Covered by Les Paul and by The Ventures. Not the Van Morrison song.
Cottontail
I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart – From 1951, vocals by Al Hibbler.
Satin Doll – I know this song because my sister used to practice it on the piano. One of Duke’s later compositions, dating from 1953.
I Got It Bad And That Ain’t Good
Don’t Get Around Much Any More – There’s actually a version of Paul McCartney doing this.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page