Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gerry Mulligan

In a previous life I was a jazz fan. I knew jazz, understood the language, knew the history. I could discourse for hours on the merits of Miles Davis Prestige albums, or on Lester Young’s strengths as a tenor sax player. I’d go to the library and seek out CDs, not old Frank Zappa recordings or obscure Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons material, but previously unreleased live performances by Art Pepper and Art Blakey. My preference was for post bop or for West Coast cool jazz, like these Mulligan performances, or Chet Baker, or Stan Getz, and I didn’t apologize.

Of course I’ve been reincarnated, so all traces of that life should have been erased. But some of it got left behind, so when I listen to this stuff it resonates on a level that my conscious mind can’t quite access.

This is Compact Jazz, which has recordings Mulligan made in the mid 50s and early 60 – not so representative, but it is what it is.




Gerry Mulligan:



Bernie’s Tune
Festive Minor
The Lady Is A Tramp – From the movie Lady And The Tramp.
Blue At The Roots
Sweet And Lovely
Line For Lyons – I knew a Lyons family; I could tell you stories about various family members, but I don’t think I will…
Demanton
Spring Is Sprung
Theme For Jobim – For Carlos?
Makin’ Whoopee – This is an old standard from the 30s. I have version by Harry Nilsson.
Westwood Walk
Night Lights

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page