Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jessie Hill

I had a United Artists album called The Very Best Of The Ventures and one called The Very Best Of The Fleetwoods and one called The Very Best Of Jan & Dean. And I also had a similar one, same series, that might have been called The Very Best Of Oldies; it was a various artists collection, and that’s where I got Jessie Hill’s one and only top 40 hit. I picked it up at Into The Music, which I told you about under Little Willie John.

Hill did have one other, and that seems to be the pattern doesn’t it, one big one, one small one, called Whip It On Me. I leave it to the reader to find it on YouTube.

Jessie Hill:


Ooh Poo Pah Doo – It was actually Part II that was the hit, and I’m not even sure which part I have, so let’s just pretend that it’s part II. This song doesn’t seem to be about anything, and it is one of the first in a long line of songs with nonsense titles: Rama Lama Ding Dong, Wooly Bully, Shimy Shimmy Koko Bop, Da Doo Doo Doo Da Da Da Da, MmmBop etc. There’s a decent cover of this on Paul Revere & The Raiders’ first album. From the spring of 1960.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page